Details of the events
Details of the celebrations are now available on the Event Details page.
When you applied and paid for Symposium or Gala dinner tickets you will have received an e-mail confirming your payment and number of tickets applied for. In early August we will be contacting all delegates again to confirm the tickets they applied for.
Please note, there will be no refunds after 12th August.
The Middlesex Hospital All-Day Symposium
Saturday 31st August 2019 at The Institute of Education
In the booklet entitled The Middlesex: Two Hundred and Fifty Years 1745-1995 the late Dr Arthur Miller wrote ‘for a great hospital it is not just a building; it is the totality of its history, its traditions and ethos, its achievements and, above all else, the great company of those who have served on its staff.’
This Symposium, to be held at the Institute of Education, will endeavour to embrace these special words and prove why The Middlesex was such a popular and friendly hospital.
The lectures by the 14 speakers will include:
- a brief history of The Middlesex,
- some important medical discoveries,
- personal reflections of a surgeon,
- the Acts of Mercy Paintings,
- the Fitzrovia Chapel (formerly the Middlesex Hospital Chapel),
- the origins of the various ward names,
- famous matrons,
- physiotherapy and the ITU,
- a nurse who took a year out of school and won an Olympic equestrian medal,
- Marion Frank and Mary Craig,
- Winston Churchill and his June 1962 hip repair,
- a personal reflection of being one of the last patients treated at The Middlesex
- MD’s Christmas concerts
- The Middlesex Hospital’s global role in improving childbirth and newborn.
Cost and Details
Tickets will be £60 and will include freshly brewed tea, coffee and pastry selection on arrival,
tea, coffee and biscuits mid-morning, hot or cold fork buffet lunch served with fruit juice and still and sparkling filtered water, and tea, coffee and biscuits mid-afternoon.
Further details will be available closer to the date.
Lord Bernie Ribeiro
Dr Jeanette Cayley
Dr Nicholas Cambridge
Professor Clara Lowy
Dr Charles Shaw
Jennifer Mary Radford
Jane Holderness-Rodam OBE
Richard Evans OBE
Dr John Mather
Dr Paul Thompson
Professor Anthony Costello
Address: 20 Bedford Way,
London WC1H 0AL
T: +44 (0)20 7612 6000
Plan the rest of your weekend
There are a range of accommodation options from the UCL Halls of Residence at reasonable rates to 5 star hotels. Book early to avoid disappointment.
A Gala Dinner is being held in the Grand Hall, De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms. For up to 500 guests with a celebrity after-dinner speaker followed by sketches by the MD’s past and present.
The Camden Tour Guides Association will be taking groups on various tours of Fitzrovia including the Fitzrovia Chapel.