The Middlesex Hospital, London Celebrations Video
Click the play button to start the video.
The Symposium Timetable
Welcome by Prof. Deborah Gill Director, UCL Medical School
- Dr. Nicholas Cambridge The Middlesex Hospital (1745-2005)
- Prof. Clara Lowy – Famous Middlesex Staff and their Discoveries
- Lord Bernard Ribeiro CBE – From student to Peer via The Middlesex and The Lords
Chairman Prof. David Linch
- Dr. Jeanette Cayley – Acts of Mercy Paintings
- Ms. Faye Hughes & Ms. Kate Thorogood – The Fitzrovia Chapel: History and Current activities
- Dr. Charles Shaw – Eponyms of The Middlesex Hospital
- Prof. Anthony Costello – The Middlesex Hospital’s global role in improving childbirth and newborn
Chairman Mrs. Maggie Gormley
- Mrs. Jennifer Radford – Middlesex Matrons – their qualities, challenges and influence
- Mrs. Sue Lewis – A Decade of Physiotherapy Care at the Middlesex Hospital
- Mrs. Jane Holderness-Roddam (née) Bullen CBE – Bedpans to Podium
Chairman Dr. Nicholas Cambridge
- Mr. Richard Evans – The legacy of Ms. Marion Frank and Ms. Mary Craig
- Dr. John Mather – Winston Churchill and his June 1962 Hip Repair
- Mr. Peter Twist – Being the last patient at the Middlesex before it closed
- Dr. Paul Thompson – Cilia and Cornea: A potted history of The Christmas Concerts
A Selection of Emails Received after the event
Exciting and Sucessful Day
I would like to thank you and your committee for organising such an exciting and successful day last week-end. I thoroughly enjoyed all the mini-talks by such interesting and knowledgeable people connected with the hospital. I trained as a nurse from 1976 and it was so good to be able to meet up with friends and colleagues and be able to reminisce about our time and experiences at the hospital. The Gala Dinner was superb, and we thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment from the different eras!
Thank you again for all your hard work in making the day such a resounding success. Rachel
What a wonderful weekend it was!
What a wonderful weekend it was! Our year (graduates of 1986) had a great time – drinks at the King and Queen on Friday night followed by dinner in the restaurant that has the amazing view of the chapel.
Then all the events on Saturday. We must have been one of the bigger contingents with maybe 30 of us there; mostly old MDs (I was Stage Manager back in the day).
So, thank you for all your efforts; you should be very proud of the celebrations. Dorothy
The most brilliant day
My friends and I had the most brilliant day last week at the reunion.
Nearly all the talks were exceptional, and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane and I also learnt so much about the history of the hospital.
It was inspiring. I can only imagine the work that went into organising the day.
Six of us went out to eat afterwards so we didn’t attend the Gala Dinner, so I am looking forward to reading all about it on the website.
Many many congratulations to you and the organising committee.
We all loved it. Kind regards, Alison
The weekend was so well organised
A big thank you for organising last weekend. My 3 friends and myself had a wonderful time.
We enjoyed the many varied well-presented Talks which were so interesting.
The reception and Dinner were equally good. We met up with 3 ladies from our set who we had not seen for 47 years and were seated on the same dinner table.
The weekend was so well organised and everything of high quality.
Once again Thank You. Kind regards, Lynette
The Gala Dinner was superb
I would just like to thank both yourself and the rest of the planning committee for organizing such a very enjoyable Middlesex Hospital celebration last weekend. I was delighted to meet four members of my 1958 set some of whom I had not seen since we were still nursing at the hospital. It was also a nice surprise to see that it was my set depicted in the photo of the Nursing School in the Symposium brochure!
The Gala Dinner was superb – the food excellent and the entertainment hilarious. It reminded me of the last medics concert I saw all those years ago i.e. Lady Chatterley’s Liver!
Thank you all again. With very best wishes, Ruth
It was a most memorable weekend
Judy and I (Nursing Set-August 63-67) attended the recent conference and Gala Dinner from Montreal. We were very impressed with the content and organization of the conference. It was fascinating and so very informative. The Gala Dinner was quite marvellous, great fun and entertaining. Thanks to you and your group it was a most memorable weekend, Ruth