The former Middlesex Hospital Chapel
(1890-2005), and now called
The Fitzrovia Chapel
The staff of The Middlesex Hospital decided in 1890 that there should be a Chapel within the Hospital. The well-known late Victorian architect John Loughborough Pearson (1817-1897) who was the architect of Truro Cathedral, consecrated in 1877, was chosen to build this Chapel. Whilst the red-brick exterior was hardly ever seen the Chapel earned its reputation, and its Grade 2* listing, from its exquisite marble and mosaic interior with stained glass in all its twenty-three windows and with its other artefacts. It is these windows and artefacts that form the basis of this Record. The text is illustrated by many excellent photographs.
The windows, produced at different times by the same firm of stained glass artists, mainly illustrate the Scriptures. These are described and put in context. As most are also memorials biographical information is provided together with a description of any heraldic devices. The Antechapel has an additional 85 memorial plaques. These are listed and are currently being researched. They will be published later together with a detailed account of the Chapel’s development from 1890 to its final dedication by the then Archbishop of Canterbury almost fifty years later. In addition to the stained glass the furnishings in the Baptistery and Sanctuary are described.
James Thomson, Angela Wedgwood and Ramesh Pydiah
The exquisite interior of The former Middlesex Hospital Chapel with the lattice screen and altar. Three lancet windows are seen in the Sanctuary.
A detail from a window in the North Transept of The Parable of the God Samaritan. This is an original Clayton and Bell window of 1898.
A mosaic depiction of the Prophet Isaiah on the first nave arch. The work of Maurice Richard Josey (1870-1938)
The arms of The Middlesex Hospital From the window on the south of the Chancel in memory of Prince Arthur of Connaught (1883-1936)